Friday, November 12, 2010

Does having a "second driver" really make your long-distance bus ride safer?

Come on, how many times do you see a tired driver wake up his driver-mate from slumber to replace him at the wheel? In my case, never. And, I travel a lot by express buses commuting between Johor Bharu and Kuala Lumpur.

I personally think that a second driver, though may help to ease driver's fatigue, it is not an answer to reducing accidents. There must be another way.

I think the answer may be in better rostering method that guarantee adequate rest prior to driving. Rest should not happen en-route. You cannot get quality rest anyway while on duty. As most destination in West Malaysia is within 8-hour drive, this is not impossible indeed. Look and learn from the airline on how do the airlines manage and roster their flight crew.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment